Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Got That Netball Feeling..

Recently I have joined a netball team, consisting of Alex Crosley, Alex's older sister, Ellen Soininen, Sarah Granger, my sister Melanie, Deborah Clements, Deborah's school friend Sophia and possibly her other friend Veronica (Vonni), and myself.... (we may also recruit my younger sister Lauren).

We play at the Turramurra Rec Centre on Tuesday Nights in a 'social' competition against 7 other teams. We had our first game last week and I think it's safe to say that all of us were a bit rusty and needed to work on our 'gameplay'. Our first game went alright, we did lose, not by a whole lot but it wasn't quite as social as we had expected, as the other team were quite serious about what was going on and were a bit catty even though they were clearly winning. As a result, we decided that we needed to have a couple of trainings where would work on improving general fitness and our 'gameplay', even though we haven't actually got around to doing this yet.

Yesterday night we played our 2nd game of the season, Mel and Ellen were away because they went on a trip to Canberra, Soph was also away for some reason so Vonni replaced her. I got Lauren to replace Ellen, we went to the temple beforehand and other unfortunate events occurred making us extremely late and missing the first quarter. Mel and Soph play shooter and Ellen and I play defence, so for the first quarter we had no players that played shooter or defence as well as some missing positions, so I guess you could say our team was struggling, finishing the first quarter on something like 0-14. Lauren and I finally made our way there, running straight from the car park onto the court in time for the second quarter. Deb was playing GK and Alex was playing GD, they called time and went to swap with Lauren and myself but the umpire said that we couldn't do that and that Deb and Alex had to stay in those positions and that Lauren and I had to fill in the missing positions. These positions were a little foreign to Lauren and I, with Lauren going WD and me going WA, so the second quarter was still a little bad, however, we did at least score. Third-quarter we swapped and got into our usual positions which made things a little better apart from the fact that our shooters couldn't shoot overly well, but it was none the less entertaining. Fourth-quarter Alex had a go at shooter which was quite the change from her usual positions but she did eventually get a goal so that was good. We finished up the game with a total of 5 goals...which was kind of funny in comparison to the other teams 42 or so goals.

Overall it was a good game, lots of fun was had, lots of non-stop running occurred especially for Lauren and I as a result of our inexperienced shooters, the team we played against had a good time and were more relaxed than the team we first played, however, we decided we still need to have a training to work on some things and get to the netball game about 15 minutes beforehand.

From this netball season, I hope to able to have some good fun, improve my general fitness, and be able to get back into the whole netball thing. So once we we've sorted out some things and got our team to a similar standard as the other teams it should be all good, I'll have to keep you updated on how we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment